Monday, February 16, 2009

Saint Valentine's Day Greetings

This week's podcast is now out!


In this episode, we mention the first Valentine's Poem. You can read it below, first in it's original writing and then in the English translation.

Charle's d'Orleans - A Farewell to Love

Je suis desja d'amour tanné,
Ma tres doulce Valentinée, Car pour moi fustes trop tart née, Et moy pour vous fus trop tost né. Dieu lui pardoint qui estrené
M'a de vous, pour toute l'année.
Je suis desja, etc.
Ma tres doulce, etc. Bien m'estoye suspeconné, Qu'auroye telle destinée, Ains que passast ceste journée,
Combien qu'Amours l'eust ordonné.
Je suis desja, etc.

I am already sick of love,
My very gentle Valentine,
Since for me you were born too soon,
And I for you was born too late.
God forgives he who has estranged
Me from you for the whole year.
I am already, etc.
My very gentle, etc.
Well might I have suspected,
That such a destiny,
Thus would have happened this day,
How much that Love would have commanded.
I am already, etc.

A Very Early Valentine written in 1848 from a Lady to her Lover.

Valentine's Day at the Post Office. Everyone is sorting the large amount of letters.

An Example of a mock Valentine. This one sent by a lady to an unwanted suitor.

Cherubs are a popular image to see on Valentines Cards.
HAPPY ST. VALENTINE'S DAY, LOVELIES!

No comments: